Friday, July 22, 2016

Part 2 - Homeschooling the Visual Learner

You're stuck in a dining room. You'd rather not plaster school posters all over your wall. After all, you have other decorations there already. But you've come to realize that your student is a visual learner. They would really benefit from some of the beautiful posters and maps that hang in the typical public school classroom. What's the solution?

Using Visuals in Tight Places

When I decided to turn our beautiful schoolroom into my eldest son's bedroom, I knew I had to do something with all of our posters. I certainly wasn't going to dispose of them. They have been vital to my sons' education. Still, I had no room for them on the walls of our dining room. We had beautiful decor up already. 




So here's what I came up... I would take all of the posters and attach them together with 2 rings. Now they were together as one. Whenever I need a certain poster, all I have to do is flip through until I reach the one I need. I also made sure that the rings lined up with the pegs on our easel. The posters hang nicely right below our white board. 

It's a simple solution.
  1. Make sure your posters are lined up nicely. 
  2. Assess where you will punch your holes using a faint pencil line. 
  3. Use a one-hole punch to punch holes in your posters. (One poster at a time is preferable.) 
  4. Slide the rings into the holes, and you're finished! 

This simple solution works very well in tight spaces. If you don't have a board to hang the posters on, you can easily hang them on the wall. Only this way, you don't have them all over your wall. They are confined to one specific spot. 

There are plenty of other techniques and solutions to helping visual learners in tight places. I'll cover more in future posts, especially those I've learned from other teachers. 

Enjoy!