Monday, January 5, 2015

Healthy vs. Sick

Today we started our Health Unit. With the new semester here, we are entering into new subjects, many of which I'm looking forward to. 

While being able to listen attentively to a teacher's lesson is important, students with special needs (especially those with ADHD and reading difficulties) need visually appealing and hands-on oriented items incorporated into the lesson. 

Today's health lesson discussed what it means to be healthy. It's a simple topic, but one that I felt was a good starting place for my Kindergartner and 1st Grader. Since it's a simple topic, I knew I needed to add something fun and visually stimulating to the lesson. 

I incorporated posters of a Healthy Boy and a Sick Boy. (Below are the two posters clipped side-by-side.)



To make it hands-on, I drew a thermometer, a blanket, and a box of tissues on a separate piece of paper. Then I cut out those items and used Velcro to allow the students to take the items on and off the Sick Boy. 


Velcro with a sticky back can be easily found in most stores that have a sewing aisle. I use sticky-backed Velcro a lot in the classroom because it allows for easy attachment and removal of items providing a lot of hands-on fun! 

While this portion of the lesson did not take long, the boys enjoyed taking care of the Sick Boy. After our discussion on Healthy Behaviors and Where We Learn Healthy Behaviors, the boys drew their own healthy and sick children. 

If you would like to download these drawings: CLICK HERE.

Enjoy!